Monday, October 26, 2015

Minimalism in my life

I've moved a lot in my life. In the past 5 years, I have lived in 4 cities and sometimes in multiple houses within a city which means I have a lot of experience with renting a house, moving, packing etc. I really do hate moving and packing - it's been the bane of my life every time I've had to move. The one honest and sobering realization that has happened is that I have a lot of STUFF. I mean seriously, how, when and where did I ever accumulate so much junk?? You only realized how many possessions you own when you have to pack it all up.

This really set me thinking and after my most recent move I decided that I did not want to be burdened by this stuff anymore and carrying it from place to place. I then discovered a couple of amazing blogs where I learnt the concept of minimalism.

What is minimalism? There's plenty ways to define it but I will share what it means to me: Minimalism is a journey. A minimalist removes from his or her life things that have no value. A minimalist avoids excess. Minimalism allows you to let go of the need to possess and own things.

Okay don't freak out - it's not as crazy as it sounds.Now this doesn't mean that you give up your possessions and becoming a Sadhu, wear orange robes and live of the charity of people.Minimalism has just allowed me to get rid of a lot of stuff that I owned and felt was necessary for me to be happy. The truth is, this stuff was weighing me down and getting rid of it was the best feeling ever. It's also help bring a sense or order to my life and has helped me realize what's really important to ME. 

If you have some time, please check out these blogs that have inspired me to de-clutter and minimize.
www.theminimalists.com
www.365lessthings.com

I hope you enjoy these blogs as much as I did.




No comments:

Post a Comment